Meaning of pet
— n., adj., v., pet•ted, pet•ting.
- any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.
- a person especially cherished or indulged; favorite: He was the teacher's pet.
- a thing particularly cherished.
- kept or treated as a pet: a pet lamb.
- especially cherished or indulged, as a child or other person.
- favorite; most preferred: a pet theory.
- showing fondness or affection: to address someone with pet words.
- to treat as a pet; fondle or indulge.
- to fondle or caress amorously.
- to engage in amorous fondling and caressing.
- a fit of peevishness, sulking, or bad mood.
- to be peevish; sulk.
- positron emission tomography. Cf.
- pet (Thesaurus)