Meaning of personal
Pronunciation: (pûr'su-nl), [key]
- of, pertaining to, or coming as from a particular person; individual; private: a personal opinion.
- relating to, directed to, or intended for a particular person: a personal favor; one's personal life; a letter marked “Personal.”
- intended for use by one person: a personal car.
- referring or directed to a particular person in a disparaging or offensive sense or manner, usually involving character, behavior, appearance, etc.: personal remarks.
- making personal remarks or attacks: to become personal in a dispute.
- done, carried out, held, etc., in person: a personal interview.
- pertaining to or characteristic of a person or self-conscious being: That is my personal belief.
- of the nature of an individual rational being.
- pertaining to the body, clothing, or appearance: personal cleanliness.
- provided for one's discretionary use: Employees are allowed 15 vacation days and two personal days.
- In Latin
- noting person:In Latinportō “I carry,” -ō is a personal ending.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the personal pronoun.
- of or pertaining to personal property: personal interests.
- a short news paragraph in a newspaper concerning a particular person, as one who is socially prominent, or a group of particular persons who are socially prominent.
- a brief, private notice in a newspaper or magazine, often addressed to a particular person and typically bearing an abbreviated salutation and signature to preserve its confidentiality, usually printed in a special part of the classified advertising section.
- a similar notice placed by a person seeking companionship, a spouse, etc.
- Usually,personals.a column, page, or section of a newspaper, magazine, etc., featuring such notices or items.
- personal (Thesaurus)