penalty: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pen'l-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- a punishment imposed or incurred for a violation of law or rule.
- a loss, forfeiture, suffering, or the like, to which one subjects oneself by nonfulfillment of some obligation.
- something that is forfeited, as a sum of money.
- a disadvantage imposed upon one of the competitors or upon one side for infraction of the rules of a game, sport, etc.
- consequence or disadvantage attached to any action, condition, etc.
- penalty (Thesaurus)