WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. punishment, penalty, penalization, penalisation, social control
- usage: the act of punishing
- 2. penalty, payment
- usage: a payment required for not fulfilling a contract
- 3. penalty, disadvantage
- usage: the disadvantage or painful consequences of an action or condition; "neglected his health and paid the penalty"
- 4. penalty, handicap
- usage: (games) a handicap or disadvantage that is imposed on a competitor (or a team) for an infraction of the rules of the game
All rights reserved.
See also: penalty (Dictionary)