pain: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pān), [key]
- physical suffering or distress, as due to injury, illness, etc.
- a distressing sensation in a particular part of the body: a back pain.
- mental or emotional suffering or torment: I am sorry my news causes you such pain.
- Great pains have been taken to repair the engine perfectly.
- laborious or careful efforts; assiduous care:Great pains have been taken to repair the engine perfectly.
- the suffering of childbirth.
- an annoying or troublesome person or thing.
- to be intoxicated: After all that free beer, we were feeling no pain.
- liable to the penalty of: on pain of death.
- . pain (def. 5).
- pain (def. 5).
- to cause physical pain to; hurt.
- to cause (someone) mental or emotional pain; distress: Your sarcasm pained me.
- to have or give pain.
- pain (Thesaurus)