overhaul: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.ō"vur-hôl', ō'vur-hôl"n.ō'vur-hôl"), [key]
- to make necessary repairs on; restore to serviceable condition: My car was overhauled by an expert mechanic.
- to investigate or examine thoroughly for repair or revision: Next year we're going to overhaul the curriculum.
- to gain upon, catch up with, or overtake, as in a race.
- to haul or turn over for examination.
- to slacken (a rope) by hauling in the opposite direction to that in which the rope was drawn taut.
- to release the blocks of (a tackle).
- a general examination and repair: The state roads were badly in need of a major overhaul.
- overhaul (Thesaurus)