outward: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (out'wurd), [key]
- proceeding or directed toward the outside or exterior, or away from a central point: the outward flow of gold; the outward part of a voyage.
- pertaining to or being what is seen or apparent, as distinguished from the underlying nature, facts, etc.; pertaining to surface qualities only; superficial: outward appearances.
- belonging or pertaining to external actions or appearances, as opposed to inner feelings, mental states, etc.: an outward show of grief.
- that lies toward the outside; that is on the outer side; exterior: an outward court.
- of or pertaining to the outside, outer surface, or exterior: to make repairs on the outward walls of a house.
- pertaining to the outside of the body; external.
- pertaining to the body, as opposed to the mind or spirit.
- belonging or pertaining to what is external to oneself: outward influences.
- that which is external; the external or material world.
- outward appearance.
- outward (Thesaurus)