oscillation: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (os"u-lā'shun), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- an act or instance of oscillating.
- a single swing or movement in one direction of an oscillating body.
- fluctuation between beliefs, opinions, conditions, etc.
- an effect expressible as a quantity that repeatedly and regularly fluctuates above and below some mean value, as the pressure of a sound wave or the voltage of an alternating current.
- a single fluctuation between maximum and minimum values in such an effect.
- the difference between the least upper bound and the greatest lower bound of the functional values of a function in a given interval.
- Also calledsaltus.the limit of the oscillation in an interval containing a given point, as the length of the interval approaches zero.