Meaning of origin
Pronunciation: (ôr'i-jin, or'-), [key]
- something from which anything arises or is derived; source; fountainhead: to follow a stream to its origin.
- rise or derivation from a particular source: the origin of a word.
- the first stage of existence; beginning: the origin of Quakerism in America.
- ancestry; parentage; extraction: to be of Scottish origin.
- the point of derivation.
- the more fixed portion of a muscle.
- the point in a Cartesian coordinate system where the axes intersect.
- Also calledpole.the point from which rays designating specific angles originate in a polar coordinate system with no axes.
- origin (Thesaurus)