WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. beginning, origin, root, rootage, source, point
- usage: the place where something begins, where it springs into being; "the Italian beginning of the Renaissance"; "Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"; "Pittsburgh is the source of the Ohio River"; "communism's Russian root"
- 2. origin, descent, extraction, ancestry, lineage, derivation, filiation
- usage: properties attributable to your ancestry; "he comes from good origins"
- 3. origin, origination, inception, beginning
- usage: an event that is a beginning; a first part or stage of subsequent events
- 4. origin, intersection
- usage: the point of intersection of coordinate axes; where the values of the coordinates are all zero
- 5. origin, source
- usage: the source of something's existence or from which it derives or is derived; "the rumor had its origin in idle gossip"; "vegetable origins"; "mineral origin"; "origin in sensation"
- 6. lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma, stock, genealogy, family tree
- usage: the descendants of one individual; "his entire lineage has been warriors"
All rights reserved.
See also: origin (Dictionary)