Meaning of oral
Pronunciation: (ôr'ul, ōr'-), [key]
- uttered by the mouth; spoken: oral testimony.
- of, using, or transmitted by speech: oral methods of language teaching; oral traditions.
- of, pertaining to, or involving the mouth: the oral cavity.
- done, taken, or administered through the mouth: an oral dose of medicine.
- articulated with none of the voice issuing through the nose, as the normal English vowels and the consonants b and
- oral anxiety.
- of or pertaining to the earliest phase of infantile psychosexual development, lasting from birth to one year of age or longer, during which pleasure is obtained from eating, sucking, and biting.
- of or pertaining to the sublimation of feelings experienced during the oral stage of childhood:oral anxiety.
- of or pertaining to gratification by stimulation of the lips or membranes of the mouth, as in sucking, eating, or talking
- pertaining to that surface of polyps and marine animals that contains the mouth and tentacles.
- an oral examination in a school, college, or university, given esp. to a candidate for an advanced degree.
- oral (Thesaurus)