Meaning of operator
Pronunciation: (op'u-rā"tur), [key]
- a person who operates a machine, apparatus, or the like: a telegraph operator.
- a person who operates a telephone switchboard, esp. for a telephone company.
- a person who manages a working or industrial establishment, enterprise, or system: the operators of a mine.
- a person who trades in securities, esp. speculatively or on a large scale.
- a person who performs a surgical operation; a surgeon.
- a differential operator.
- a symbol for expressing a mathematical operation.
- a function, esp. one transforming a function, set, etc., into another:a differential operator.
- a person who accomplishes his or her purposes by devious means; faker; fraud.
- a person who is adroit at overcoming, avoiding, or evading difficulties, regulations, or restrictions.
- a person who is extremely successful with or smoothly persuasive to members of the opposite sex.
- a segment of DNA that interacts with a regulatory molecule, preventing transcription of the adjacent region.
- operator (Thesaurus)