Meaning of operative
Pronunciation: (op'ur-u-tiv, op'ru-tiv, op'u-rā"tiv), [key]
- a person engaged, employed, or skilled in some branch of work, esp. productive or industrial work; worker.
- a detective.
- a secret agent; spy.
- operating, or exerting force, power, or influence.
- having force; being in effect or operation: laws operative in this city.
- effective or efficacious.
- engaged in, concerned with, or pertaining to work or productive activity.
- significant; key: The operative word in that sentence is “sometimes.”
- concerned with, involving, or pertaining to surgical operations.
- operative (Thesaurus)