oil: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (oil), [key]
- any of a large class of substances typically unctuous, viscous, combustible, liquid at ordinary temperatures, and soluble in ether or alcohol but not in water: used for anointing, perfuming, lubricating, illuminating, heating, etc.
- a substance of this or similar consistency.
- refined or crude petroleum.
- Seeoil color.
- Seeoil painting.
- unctuous hypocrisy; flattery.
- an oilskin garment.
- facts or news; information: good oil.
- to attempt to calm a difficult or tense situation, as an argument.
- They struck oil only after years of market research.
- to discover oil, esp. to bring in a well.
- to have good luck, esp. financially; make an important and valuable discovery:They struck oil only after years of market research.
- to smear, lubricate, or supply with oil.
- to bribe.
- to make unctuous or smooth: to oil his words.
- to convert into oil by melting, as butter.
- pertaining to or resembling oil.
- using oil, esp. as a fuel: an oil furnace.
- concerned with the production or use of oil: an offshore oil rig.
- made with oil.
- obtained from oil.
- oil (Thesaurus)