Meaning of notional
Pronunciation: (nō'shu-nl), [key]
- pertaining to or expressing a notion or idea.
- of the nature of a notion or idea: a notional response to the question.
- abstract, theoretical, or speculative, as reflective thought.
- not real or actual; ideal or imaginary: to create a notional world for oneself.
- given to or full of foolish or fanciful ideas or moods.
- relating to the meaning expressed by a linguistic form.
- having full lexical meaning, in contrast to relational.
- belonging to a class of words that express clear concepts rather than relations between concepts; presentive. Cf.(def. 3),(def. 4).
- notional (Thesaurus)