next: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (nekst), [key]
- immediately following in time, order, importance, etc.: the next day; the next person in line.
- nearest or adjacent in place or position: the next room.
- nearest in relationship or kinship.
- They are next door to poverty.
- in an adjacent house, apartment, office, etc.; neighboring.
- in a position of proximity; near to:They are next door to poverty.
- He sat next to his sister.
- adjacent to:He sat next to his sister.
- almost; nearly:next to impossible.
- aside from:Next to cake, ice cream is my favorite dessert.
- in the place, time, importance, etc., nearest or immediately following: We're going to London next. This is my next oldest daughter.
- on the first occasion to follow: when next we meet.
- to get into the favor or good graces of; become a good friend of.
- adjacent to; nearest: It's in the closet next the blackboard.
- next (Thesaurus)