native: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (nā'tiv), [key]
- being the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being: one's native land.
- belonging to a person by birth or to a thing by nature; inherent: native ability; native grace.
- belonging by birth to a people regarded as indigenous to a certain place, esp. a preliterate people: Native guides accompanied the expedition through the rain forest.
- of indigenous origin, growth, or production: native pottery.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the indigenous inhabitants of a place or country: native customs; native dress.
- born in a particular place or country: a native New Yorker.
- of or pertaining to a language acquired by a person before or to the exclusion of any other language: Her native language is Greek.
- pertaining to or characteristic of a person using his or her native language: a native speaker of English; native command of a language.
- under the rule of natives: a native government.
- occupied by natives: the native quarter of Algiers.
- remaining or growing in a natural state; unadorned or unchanged: the native beauty of a desert island.
- forming the source or origin of a person or thing: He returned to his native Kansas.
- originating naturally in a particular country or region, as animals or plants.
- found in nature rather than produced artificially, as a mineral substance: the difference between native and industrial diamonds.
- (of metals) occurring in nature pure or uncombined: native copper.
- belonging to a person as a birthright: to deprive a person of his native rights.
- writing native applications for 32-bit PCs.
- designed for use with a specific type of computer:writing native applications for 32-bit PCs.
- internal to a specific application program:to view the file in its native format.
- closely related, as by birth.
- to adopt or affect the manners or way of life of a place or environment that is different from one's own, esp. a less developed country: After living on the island for a year, we went native and began to wear the local costume.
- one of the people indigenous to a place or country, esp. as distinguished from strangers, foreigners, colonizers, etc.: the natives of Chile.
- a person born in a particular place or country: a native of Ohio.
- an organism indigenous to a particular region.
- an oyster reared in British waters, esp. in an artificial bed.
- a person born under a particular planet.
- native (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.