nap: Meaning and Definition of
— v., n. napped, nap•ping,
- to sleep for a short time; doze.
- to be off one's guard: The question caught him napping.
- to sleep or doze through (a period of time, an activity, etc.) (usually fol. by away): I napped the afternoon away. He naps away most of his classes.
- a brief period of sleep, esp. one taken during daytime: Has the baby had her nap?
— n., v., napped, nap•ping.
- the short fuzzy ends of fibers on the surface of cloth, drawn up in napping.
- any downy coating, as on plants.
- to raise a nap on.
- napoleon (defs. 2, 3).
- a combining form extracted fromwith the general sense “abduct or steal in order to collect a ransom”: artnap; petnap; starnap.
- nap (Thesaurus)