Meaning of muzzle
Pronunciation: (muz'ul), [key]
— n., v., -zled, -zling.
- the mouth, or end for discharge, of the barrel of a gun, pistol, etc.
- the projecting part of the head of an animal, including jaws, mouth, and nose. See diag. under
- a device, usually an arrangement of straps or wires, placed over an animal's mouth to prevent the animal from biting, eating, etc.
- to put a muzzle on (an animal or its mouth) so as to prevent biting, eating, etc.
- to restrain from speech, the expression of opinion, etc.: The censors muzzled the press.
- to attach the cable to the stock of (an anchor) by means of a light line to permit the anchor to be pulled loose readily.
- muzzle (Thesaurus)