Meaning of mushroom
Pronunciation: (mush'rm, -room), [key]
- any of various fleshy fungi including the toadstools, puffballs, coral fungi, morels, etc.
- any of several edible species, esp. of the family Agaricaceae, as Agaricus campestriscultivated for food in the U.S.
- anything of similar shape or correspondingly rapid growth.
- a large, mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke or rubble, formed in the atmosphere as a result of an explosion, esp. a nuclear explosion.
- of, consisting of, or containing mushrooms: a mushroom omelet.
- resembling a mushroom in shape or form.
- of rapid growth and often brief duration: mushroom towns of the gold-rush days.
- to spread, grow, or develop quickly.
- to gather mushrooms.
- to have or assume the shape of a mushroom.
- mushroom (Thesaurus)