mordant: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (môr'dnt), [key]
- sharply caustic or sarcastic, as wit or a speaker; biting.
- burning; corrosive.
- having the property of fixing colors, as in dyeing.
- a substance used in dyeing to fix the coloring matter, esp. a metallic compound, as an oxide or hydroxide, that combines with the organic dye and forms an insoluble colored compound or lake in the fiber.
- an adhesive substance for binding gold or silver leaf to a surface.
- an acid or other corrosive substance used in etching to eat out the lines, areas, etc.
- to impregnate or treat with a mordant.
- mordant (Thesaurus)