Meaning of modern
Pronunciation: (mod'urn), [key]
- of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient or remote: modern city life.
- characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; not antiquated or obsolete: modern viewpoints.
- of or pertaining to the historical period following the Middle Ages: modern European history.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of contemporary styles of art, literature, music, etc., that reject traditionally accepted or sanctioned forms and emphasize individual experimentation and sensibility.
- (cap.) new (def. 12).
- noting or descriptive of a font of numerals in which the body aligns on the baseline, asCf.(def. 3).
- a person of modern times.
- a person whose views and tastes are modern.
- a type style differentiated from old style by heavy vertical strokes and straight serifs.
- modern (Thesaurus)