masquerade: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (mas"ku-r?d'), [key]
? n., v., -ad•ed, -ad•ing.
- a party, dance, or other festive gathering of persons wearing masks and other disguises, and often elegant, historical, or fantastic costumes.
- a costume or disguise worn at such a gathering.
- false outward show; faade; pretense: a hypocrite's masquerade of virtue.
- activity, existence, etc., under false pretenses: a rich man's masquerade as a beggar.
- to go about under false pretenses or a false character; assume the character of; give oneself out to be: to masquerade as a former Russian count.
- to disguise oneself.
- to take part in a masquerade.
- masquerade (Thesaurus)