market: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (mär'kit), [key]
- an open place or a covered building where buyers and sellers convene for the sale of goods; a marketplace: a farmers' market.
- a store for the sale of food: a meat market.
- a meeting of people for selling and buying.
- the assemblage of people at such a meeting.
- trade or traffic, esp. as regards a particular commodity: the market in cotton.
- a body of persons carrying on extensive transactions in a specified commodity: the cotton market.
- the field of trade or business: the best shoes in the market.
- demand for a commodity: an unprecedented market for leather.
- a body of existing or potential buyers for specific goods or services: the health-food market.
- a region in which goods and services are bought, sold, or used: the foreign market; the New England market.
- current price or value: a rising market for shoes.
- at the prevailing price in the open market.
- ready to buy; interested in buying: I'm in the market for a new car.
- for sale; available: Fresh asparagus will be on the market this week.
- to buy or sell in a market; deal.
- to buy food and provisions for the home.
- to carry or send to market for disposal: to market produce every week.
- to dispose of in a market; sell.
- market (Thesaurus)