Meaning of local
Pronunciation: (lō'kul), [key]
- pertaining to or characterized by place or position in space; spatial.
- pertaining to, characteristic of, or restricted to a particular place or particular places: a local custom.
- pertaining to a city, town, or small district rather than an entire state or country: local transportation.
- stopping at most or all stations: a local train.
- pertaining to or affecting a particular part or particular parts, as of a physical system or organism: a local disease.
- (of anesthesia or an anesthetic) affecting only a particular part or area of the body, without concomitant loss of consciousness, as distinguished from general anesthesia.
- a local train, bus, etc.
- a newspaper item of local interest.
- a local branch of a union, fraternity, etc.
- a local anesthetic.
- Often, primarily of interest to locals.
- a local person or resident:primarily of interest to locals.
- a local athletic team:the locals versus the state champions.
- stamp (def. 22).
- a neighborhood pub.
- to travel by or take a local train or the like.
Pronunciation: (lō'kal', -kal"), [key]
- local (Thesaurus)