Meaning of literature
Pronunciation: (lit'ur-u-chur, -choor", li'tru-), [key]
- writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays.
- the entire body of writings of a specific language, period, people, etc.: the literature of England.
- the writings dealing with a particular subject: the literature of ornithology.
- the profession of a writer or author.
- literary work or production.
- any kind of printed material, as circulars, leaflets, or handbills: literature describing company products.
- polite learning; literary culture; appreciation of letters and books.
- literature (Thesaurus)