linear: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lin'ē-ur), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- of, consisting of, or using lines: linear design.
- pertaining to or represented by lines: linear dimensions.
- extended or arranged in a line: a linear series.
- involving measurement in one dimension only; pertaining to length: linear measure.
- of or pertaining to the characteristics of a work of art in which forms and rhythms are defined chiefly in terms of line.
- having the form of or resembling a line: linear nebulae.
- a linear operation.
- consisting of, involving, or describable by terms of the first degree.
- having the same effect on a sum as on each of the summands:a linear operation.
- delivering an output that is directly proportional to the input: a linear circuit; a linear amplifier.
- threadlike; narrow and elongated: a linear leaf.