libel: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lī'bul), [key]
— n., v., -beled, -bel•ing -belled, -bel•ling.
- defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
- the act or crime of publishing it.
- a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or the grounds of a charge.
- anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.
- to publish a libel against.
- to misrepresent damagingly.
- to institute suit against by a libel, as in an admiralty court.
- libel (Thesaurus)