less: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (les), [key]
— adv., a compar. of as superl.
- to a smaller extent, amount, or degree: less exact.
- most certainly not (often prec. by much or still): He could barely pay for his own lodging, much less for that of his friend.
- in any way different; other: He is nothing less than a thief.
- by far short of being; not in the least; hardly at all: The job is less than perfect.
- a smaller amount or quantity: Hundreds of soldiers arrived, but less of them remained.
- something inferior or not as important: He was tortured for less.
- minus; without: a year less two days; six dollars less tax.
- an adjective suffix meaning “without” (childless; peerless), and in adjectives derived from verbs, indicating failure or inability to perform or be performed (resistless; tireless).
- less (Thesaurus)