leaven: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lev'un), [key]
- a substance, as yeast or baking powder, that causes fermentation and expansion of dough or batter.
- fermented dough reserved for producing fermentation in a new batch of dough.
- an element that produces an altering or transforming influence.
- to add leaven to (dough or batter) and cause to rise.
- to permeate with an altering or transforming element.
- leaven (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.