lateral: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lat'ur-ul), [key]
- of or pertaining to the side; situated at, proceeding from, or directed to a side: a lateral view.
- pertaining to or entailing a position, office, etc., that is different but equivalent or roughly equivalent in status, as distinguished from a promotion or demotion: a lateral move.
- articulated so that the breath passes on either or both sides of the tongue, as l.
- a lateral part or extension, as a branch or shoot.
- a small drift off to the side of a principal one.
- a lateral speech sound.
- to throw a lateral pass.
- to move laterally or sideways: migrating birds lateraling down into Cape May.
- to throw (the ball) in a lateral pass.
- lateral (Thesaurus)