itch: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ich), [key]
- to have or feel a peculiar tingling or uneasy irritation of the skin that causes a desire to scratch the part affected: My nose itches.
- to cause such a feeling: This shirt itches.
- to scratch a part that itches.
- to have a desire to do or get something: to itch after fame.
- to cause to have an itch: His wool shirt always itches him.
- to scratch (a part that itches): to itch a mosquito bite.
- to annoy; vex; irritate: Her remarks itched me.
- the sensation of itching.
- an uneasy or restless desire or longing: an itch for excitement.
- a contagious disease caused by the itch mite, which burrows into the skin (usually prec. by the). Cf. mange, scabies.
- itch (Thesaurus)