Meaning of irrational
Pronunciation: (i-rash'u-nl), [key]
- without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.
- without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.
- not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.
- not endowed with the faculty of reason: irrational animals.
- (of a number) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers.
- (of a function) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two polynomials.
- (of an equation) having an unknown under a radical sign or, alternately, with a fractional exponent.
- of or pertaining to a substitution in the normal metrical pattern, esp. a long syllable for a short one.
- noting a foot or meter containing such a substitution.
- irrational (Thesaurus)