invocation: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in"vu-kā'shun), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- the act of invoking or calling upon a deity, spirit, etc., for aid, protection, inspiration, or the like; supplication.
- any petitioning or supplication for help or aid.
- a form of prayer invoking God's presence, esp. one said at the beginning of a religious service or public ceremony.
- an entreaty for aid and guidance from a Muse, deity, etc., at the beginning of an epic or epiclike poem.
- the act of calling upon a spirit by incantation.
- the magic formula used to conjure up a spirit; incantation.
- the act of calling upon or referring to something, as a concept or document, for support and justification in a particular circumstance.
- the enforcing or use of a legal or moral precept or right.