intimacy: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in'tu-mu-sē), [key]
— pl. -cies.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- the state of being intimate.
- a close, familiar, and usually affectionate or loving personal relationship with another person or group.
- a close association with or detailed knowledge or deep understanding of a place, subject, period of history, etc.: an intimacy with Japan.
- an act or expression serving as a token of familiarity, affection, or the like: to allow the intimacy of using first names.
- an amorously familiar act; liberty.
- sexual intercourse.
- the quality of being comfortable, warm, or familiar: the intimacy of the room.
- privacy, esp. as suitable to the telling of a secret: in the intimacy of his studio.