insurance: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in-shoor'uns, -shûr'-), [key]
- the act, system, or business of insuring property, life, one's person, etc., against loss or harm arising in specified contingencies, as fire, accident, death, disablement, or the like, in consideration of a payment proportionate to the risk involved.
- coverage by contract in which one party agrees to indemnify or reimburse another for loss that occurs under the terms of the contract.
- the contract itself, set forth in a written or printed agreement or policy.
- the amount for which anything is insured.
- an insurance premium.
- any means of guaranteeing against loss or harm: Taking vitamin C is viewed as an insurance against catching colds.
- of or pertaining to a score that increases a team's lead and insures that the lead will be held if the opposing team should score once more: The home run gave the team an insurance run, making the score 7-5.
- insurance (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.