Meaning of insular
Pronunciation: (in'su-lur, ins'yu-), [key]
- of or pertaining to an island or islands: insular possessions.
- dwelling or situated on an island.
- forming an island: insular rocks.
- detached; standing alone; isolated.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of islanders.
- narrow-minded or illiberal; provincial: insular attitudes toward foreigners.
- occurring in or characterized by one or more isolated spots, patches, or the like.
- pertaining to an island of cells or tissue, as the islets of Langerhans.
- an inhabitant of an island; islander.
- insular (Thesaurus)