WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. insular
- usage: relating to or characteristic of or situated on an island; "insular territories"; "Hawaii's insular culture"
- 2. insular, private (vs. public)
- usage: suggestive of the isolated life of an island; "an exceedingly insular man; so deeply private as to seem inaccessible to the scrutiny of a novelist"- Leonard Michaels
- 3. insular, parochial, provincial (vs. cosmopolitan)
- usage: narrowly restricted in outlook or scope; "little sympathy with parochial mentality"; "insular attitudes toward foreigners"
All rights reserved.
See also: insular (Dictionary)