instance: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in'stuns), [key]
— n., v., -stanced, -stanc•ing.
- a case or occurrence of anything: fresh instances of oppression.
- an example put forth in proof or illustration: to cite a few instances.
- the institution and prosecution of a case.
- urgency in speech or action.
- an impelling motive.
- at the urging or suggestion of: He applied for the assistantship at the instance of his professor.
- as an example; for example: If you were to go to Italy, for instance, you would get a different perspective on our culture.
- to cite as an instance or example.
- to exemplify by an instance.
- to cite an instance.
- instance (Thesaurus)