inflate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in-flāt'), [key]
— v., -flat•ed, -flat•ing.
- to distend; swell or puff out; dilate: The king cobra inflates its hood.
- to cause to expand or distend with air or gas: to inflate a balloon.
- to puff up with pride, satisfaction, etc.
- to elate.
- to expand (money, prices, an economy, etc.) unduly in amount, value, or size; affect with inflation.
- to become inflated.
- to increase, esp. suddenly and substantially: The $10 subscription has inflated to $25.
- inflate (Thesaurus)