indicator: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in'di-kā"tur), [key]
- a person or thing that indicates.
- a pointing or directing device, as a pointer on the dial of an instrument to show pressure, temperature, speed, volume, or the like.
- an instrument that indicates the condition of a machine or the like.
- an instrument for measuring and recording variations of pressure in the cylinder of an engine.
- a substance, as litmus, that indicates the presence or concentration of a certain constituent.
- a substance often used in a titration to indicate the point at which the reaction is complete.
- a plant or animal that indicates, by its presence in a given area, the existence of certain environmental conditions.
- indicator (Thesaurus)