Indian: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in'dē-un), [key]
- Also calleda member of the aboriginal people of America or of any of the aboriginal North or South American stocks, usually excluding the Eskimos.
- any of the indigenous languages of the American Indians. Abbr.: Ind
- a member of any of the peoples native to or inhabiting India or the East Indies.
- a citizen of the Republic of India.
- a person who performs a required task or carries out the instructions of superiors: We have too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
- the constellation Indus.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the American Indians or their languages.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of India or the East Indies.
- made of Indian corn: Indian meal.
- oriental (def. 3).
- belonging or pertaining to a geographical division comprising India south of the Himalayas, and Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- indian (Thesaurus)