impact: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (n.im'paktv.im&sylppakt'), [key]
- the striking of one thing against another; forceful contact; collision: The impact of the colliding cars broke the windshield.
- an impinging: the impact of light on the eye.
- influence; effect: the impact of Einstein on modern physics.
- an impacting; forcible impinging: the tremendous impact of the shot.
- the force exerted by a new idea, concept, technology, or ideology: the impact of the industrial revolution.
- to drive or press closely or firmly into something; pack in.
- to fill up; congest; throng: A vast crowd impacted St. Peter's Square.
- to collide with; strike forcefully: a rocket designed to impact the planet Mars.
- to have an impact or effect on; influence; alter: The decision may impact your whole career. The auto industry will be impacted by the new labor agreements.
- to have impact or make contact forcefully: The ball impacted against the bat with a loud noise.
- to have an impact or effect: Increased demand will impact on sales.
- impact (Thesaurus)