imagination: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (i-maj"u-nā'shun), [key]
- the faculty of imagining, or of forming mental images or concepts of what is not actually present to the senses.
- the action or process of forming such images or concepts.
- the faculty of producing ideal creations consistent with reality, as in literature, as distinct from the power of creating illustrative or decorative imagery. Cf. fancy (def. 2).
- the product of imagining; a conception or mental creation, often a baseless or fanciful one.
- ability to face and resolve difficulties; resourcefulness: a job that requires imagination.
- the power of reproducing images stored in the memory under the suggestion of associated imagesor of recombining former experiences in the creation of new images directed at a specific goal or aiding in the solution of problems
- (in Kantian epistemology) synthesis of data from the sensory manifold into objects by means of the categories.
- a plan, scheme, or plot.
- imagination (Thesaurus)