Meaning of illuminate
Pronunciation: (v.i-l'mu-nāt"adj., n.i-l'mu-nit, -nāt"), [key]
— v., adj., n. -nat•ed, -nat•ing,
- to supply or brighten with light; light up.
- to make lucid or clear; throw light on (a subject).
- to decorate with lights, as in celebration.
- to enlighten, as with knowledge.
- to make resplendent or illustrious: A smile illuminated her face.
- to decorate (a manuscript, book, etc.) with colors and gold or silver, as was often done in the Middle Ages.
- to display lights, as in celebration.
- to become illuminated.
- a person who is or affects to be specially enlightened.
- illuminate (Thesaurus)