Meaning of hydroplane
Pronunciation: (hī'dru-plān"), [key]
— n., v., -planed, -plan•ing.
- a seaplane.
- an attachment to an airplane enabling it to glide on the water.
- a light, high-powered boat, esp. one with hydrofoils or a stepped bottom, designed to plane along the surface of the water at very high speeds.
- a horizontal rudder for submerging or elevating a submarine.
- to skim over water in the manner of a hydroplane.
- to travel in a hydroplane.
- (of a vehicular tire or vehicle) to ride on a film of water on a wet surface with a resulting decrease in braking and steering effectiveness.
- hydroplane (Thesaurus)