hustle: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hus'ul), [key]
— v., n. -tled, -tling,
- to proceed or work rapidly or energetically: to hustle about putting a house in order.
- to push or force one's way; jostle or shove.
- to be aggressive, esp. in business or other financial dealings.
- to earn one's living by illicit or unethical means.
- (of a prostitute) to solicit clients.
- to convey or cause to move, esp. to leave, roughly or hurriedly: They hustled him out of the bar.
- to pressure or coerce (a person) to buy or do something: to hustle the customers into buying more drinks.
- to urge, prod, or speed up: Hustle your work along.
- to obtain by aggressive or illicit means: He could always hustle a buck or two from some sucker.
- to beg; solicit.
- to sell in or work (an area), esp. by high-pressure tactics: The souvenir venders began hustling the town at dawn.
- to sell aggressively: to hustle souvenirs.
- to jostle, push, or shove roughly.
- to induce (someone) to gamble or to promote (a gambling game) when the odds of winning are overwhelmingly in one's own favor.
- to cheat; swindle: They hustled him out of his savings.
- an author hustling her new book on the TV talk shows.
- (of a prostitute) to solicit (someone).
- to attempt to persuade (someone) to have sexual relations.
- to promote or publicize in a lively, vigorous, or aggressive manner:an author hustling her new book on the TV talk shows.
- energetic activity, as in work.
- discourteous shoving, pushing, or jostling.
- an inducing by fraud, pressure, or deception, esp. of inexperienced or uninformed persons, to buy something, to participate in an illicit scheme, dishonest gambling game, etc.
- such a product, scheme, gambling game, etc.
- a competitive struggle: the hustle to earn a living.
- a fast, lively, popular ballroom dance evolving from Latin American, swing, rock, and disco dance styles, with a strong basic rhythm and simple step pattern augmented by strenuous turns, breaks, etc.
- hustle (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.