Pronunciation: (hīv), [key]
— n., v., hived, hiv•ing.
- a shelter constructed for housing a colony of honeybees; beehive.
- the colony of bees inhabiting a hive.
- something resembling a beehive in structure or use.
- a place swarming with busy occupants: a hive of industry.
- a swarming or teeming multitude.
- to gather into or cause to enter a hive.
- to shelter as in a hive.
- to store up in a hive.
- to store or lay away for future use or enjoyment.
- (of bees) to enter a hive.
- to live together in or as in a hive.
- to become transferred from the main body of a commercial or industrial enterprise through the agency of new ownership.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.