Meaning of hire
Pronunciation: (hīr), [key]
— v., n., adj. hired, hir•ing,
- to engage the services of (a person or persons) for wages or other payment: to hire a clerk.
- to engage the temporary use of at a set price; rent: to hire a limousine.
- to obtain employment; take a job: They hired on as wranglers with the rodeo.
- to offer or exchange one's services for payment: He hired himself out as a handyman.
- the act of hiring.
- the state or condition of being hired.
- the price or compensation paid or contracted to be paid for the temporary use of something or for personal services or labor; pay: The laborer is worthy of his hire.
- a person hired or to be hired: Most of our new hires are college-educated.
- available for use or service in exchange for payment.
- available for hire; rental: a hire car.
- hire (Thesaurus)