hieroglyphic: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hī"ur-u-glif'ik, hī"ru-), [key]
- designating or pertaining to a pictographic script, particularly that of the ancient Egyptians, in which many of the symbols are conventionalized, recognizable pictures of the things represented.
- inscribed with hieroglyphic symbols.
- hard to decipher; hard to read.
- a hieroglyphic symbol.
- Usually,hieroglyphic writing.
- a figure or symbol with a hidden meaning.
- handwriting, figures, characters, code, etc., difficult to decipher: the confusing hieroglyphics of advanced mathematics.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.